Building a Love for Reading in your Children
I joined a book club a few months ago and am so glad I did. I had really gotten away from reading over the last few years....I was always too busy. But now that I am in book club, I have a deadline and make sure I get my book read each month. I am really enjoying the books that have been picked and I actaully read 3 extra books so far and find it so relaxing.
That got me to thinking about how to build a love for reading in our kids. Here is a list of ideas that I found online, some old, some new, that can be a good ways to foster that love for reading in your own children:
1. Take your kids to the library often
2. Start a book club for your kids and their friends
3. Buy them a few audiobooks to listen to
4. Read a book with them and then take them to see the movie after you both finish the book
5. Make a nook or corner with a theme they like for them to relax in and read
6. Monkey see, monkey do.....if they see you reading, they will likely mimic the behavior
7. Discuss what they are reading with them
8. Read aloud together
9. Keep up with the authors they love and make sure they know when a new book is being released
10. Make what they are reading about into an adventure. If they are reading about a group of hikers, take them on a hike. If they are reading about farm animals, take them to the farm.
Educational Outfitters of Colorado
8170 S University Blvd #250
Centennial, CO 80122